July 6, 2005
More Google Maps goodness…this time, I created a way to plan out your route.
Say, for example, you have multiple stops you need to complete. This application will provide you with a way to set a lot of markers of all the places you need to stop at, then it will tell you which places to stop by in which order.
Here is how to use it:
- pan and zoom to the place you’d like to start at then click “Recenter” to set your starting point.
- Click to add markers for all your intermediate stops (doesn’t matter which order). You can click on the markers to remove them.
- When you are done adding markers, click “Get Route”
- You will be presented with lines representing the order in which you should travel, with a different-colored line representing your trip back “home.”
- You can click to set/remove markers and click “Get Route” again or start over altogether by clicking “Start Over”
- Distances are calculated “as the bird flies”
- No complicated algos here…just the closest point from the previous point
- currently, no input taken…everything is done with mouse…no keyboard…this is intentional but may change if enough people complain
- I am already calculating the distances but am not currently displaying them
Try it out here.